How to make Poha, a savory Indian breakfast
My husband taught me how to make poha, a delicious indian breakfast dish made with poha, a flattened rice.
I thought this would be a great recipe to share, so here it is, so you too will know how to make it!
We make it somewhat regularly and it’s relatively simple and comes together within 30 minutes… We don’t often measure things, so be advised that measurements are approximate! I hope you’ll enjoy this as much as we do 🙂
What you’ll need to make Poha:
- approx. 3 cups poha
- 2-3 handfuls of peanuts
- 3-4 thai chilies
- half of an onion (we use sweet onions or red ones)
- 1 medium red potato
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1.5 Tbs coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peas (thawed in colander)
- a few sprigs cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Dice the onion, keep a small amount set aside for garnish
- Chop up the thai chilies, holding stem (try not to touch!)
- Peel and chop your potato (preferably pre-cooked)
- Soak the poha in a large colander (and the peas in a smaller one)
5.Put your spices on poha (tumeric, coriander, and salt) and mix in colander, over sink
6. Add coconut oil to a large pan, heat on medium til warmed
7. Add peanuts, let cook til slightly brown
8. Throw in mustard seeds, most of the onion, and chilies
9. Add potato and allow to cook, stirring frequently
10. Once potato appears browned, add your poha!
11. Stir to combine everything, and add peas!
12. Serve on 2 plates, garnish with leftover onion, cilantro, and lemon
Squeeze a little lemon on there (or a lot) and you’re good to go!
If you try this recipe, or like this – please leave a comment! 🙂